Under Scrutiny

A story of back street abortion in 1948 and how the change came about where women were given contraception and could go to a clinic to have a termination. A doctor who's ex- wife dies of cancer is left to bring up his daughter who has downs syndrome. His perception of the disability is changed when he discovers that his daughter is brighter than he first thought. This is a story of acceptance and the love between a disabled girl and her father. The story includes prize fighting when Billy Tugg Fawcett and his friend a black heavyweight fighter called Bill Peters fight their way to a title fight but gangsters and racketeers are after Bill when he refuses to throw a fight.


29. 29

Bill Peters and Tug Fawcett had fought twice in one week. The first was a ten rounds bout against a much heavier opponent. Tug moved around the ring with the grace of a ballerina dodging the bigger, stronger “Samson Smith from Hexham. Tug disposed of him with a hook to the body.

Bill Peters knocked out Peter Jackson from Morpeth in two rounds.

Two days later Tug beat “Foxy Harris by ten round decision.

Bill Peters was in fine form as he dropped his opponent for the full count in the fourth round.

Both men took a day off work because they had earned over fifty guineas each.

Tug Fawcett had dislocated a knuckle during his bout and his father had put it back which was very painful. He sat in the Jungle Bar with his hand in a bucket of ice.

It didn’t stop him drinking six bottles of Brown Ale. Bill Knew that Tug would be drunk by the time they left the bar tonight. They had a good following these days because they were rising up the rankings list with over twenty wins each now.

Norman Fawcett was trying to negotiate a better deal for both his fighter’s to meet the British champion’s.

Paddy Walker was the lightweight Champion; he was reluctant to defend his title Against Tug Fawcett because he was not a puncher and won the vast majority of his bouts by decision. Bill Peters had to fight Morris O’Hanlon in an elimination bout.

After four hours of wrangling the board decided that Tug would have to meet the number one contender Paul “Gypsy King at Earls Court in London on the 5th of September. Norman now had to get O’Hanlon to go to Earls Court as well.

Norman talked with O’Hanlon’s manager Billy Kean who was very shrewd when it came to negotiating.

 He only agreed to the fight if Bill Peters took a cut in the purse money.

It meant that Bill would only receive forty guineas whereas O’Hanlon would get sixty.

Bill wasn’t happy with the deal but as Norman said “That was boxing.”


Both fighters got into serious training and Bill persuaded Tug to come out on the road together. Johnny Miller and Stan Hawthorn who had both fought for British welter weight titles were brought in as sparring partners. They put Tug through his paces as they sparred round after round until Norman was happy with his son’s fitness levels. Bill Peters sparred with Big Geordie Cason and Manny Burgo.

When the day finally arrived both fighters were ready. Norman took them down in the train that day which would take some five hours to get there.

They both weighed in under the limit then Norman booked them into a guest house.

They both ate a big steak with salad then slept in the one big room until it was time to go to Earls Court.

Norman took the fighter’s to their dressing room and began bandaging and taping up their hands.


Join MovellasFind out what all the buzz is about. Join now to start sharing your creativity and passion
Loading ...