The story focuses on three families. The Kinnear's, The Millsap's, and the Owen's. All different. They live very different lifestyles. Albert Kinnear the Librarian, who's parents came from Swindon but live in Pinetree Gardens, his father Jack is an engineer. He is a keen gardener and Pigeon fancier. Albert meets the daughter of Charlie and Elizabeth Millsap. They live on Kenton Road, in a bought property. He also is a pigeon man who has wangled his way into a chairman's job. he is a welder down the docks. No one is good enough for their daughter and they resent the relationship between Laura and Albert. Then there is William Owen(Willick) a roofing builder who lives in Cedarwood Avenue with two son's and a daughter. Alan is a jack the lad; he will sleep with any woman given the chance. Harry the youngest is a joiner and the brains in the family. Evelyn his daughter is twenty five and her father is pushing her to meet a man and get married so he can have grandchildren.


250. 250

Over the next two months the men whom Charles had got to dig out the lake worked away each day. Susan made them lunch and provided them with wine bought from the village. The Barns were cleaned out and disinfected and the five holding tanks arrived. The pumps and air filters were rigged up and they were filled and salt added ready for the delivery of the fish. The tanks were painted with C6 to C20 that indicated the pounds that each fish weighed. They were fed four times a day with pellets to help increase the size of them. Whilst this was going on Harry had a builder convert the cowshed into a room where they could milk the carp and fertilise the eggs. It took the men two weeks to dig out the new lake whilst Harry set to work making the sitting areas and he planted lawn seed so that tents could be erected around the lake. There was fifty pegs to build and make seats for but Harry was relentless, working way into the night in order to finish the job. The cottage was looking nice too Harry finished the kitchen and he’d sanded the bed and bedroom furniture down and gave them two coats of varnish. They looked as good as new. Harry Even built a table and bench seats outside so that they could eat outside in the summer months.

The day arrived when the lake was to be filled with water. Reed from the other lake that had over grown was   transplanted into the new lake. Gravel was added to the bottom and then the huge hosepipe began to fill the lake. It took two days before the lake was deep enough for the fish to be able to swim about in it. Harry set out in a row boat and added salt to the fresh water lake to help kill off any diseases.

Michelle Dubois from the Le Moulin Boutineau supplied them with the fish that they needed and also two young girls who were studying carp as part of a university course. They would feed and look after the breeding side of things with Susan who was keen to get involved.

On the 1st of March 1985 the first customers began to arrive outside The Paradis de Pecheurs.

They came from Yorkshire and as far afield as Canada to camp and fish the lakes which were now fully stocked.

 The first lake had small carp up to eight pounds, tench, perch, and some large bream up to fifteen pounds in weight.

Susan opened her own bait shop; it was built near the cottage so she was able to run that and oversee the breeding of the carp in the holding tanks and milking house. Lots of children were fascinated watching the thousands of small fish swim around in the holding tanks and it wasn’t long before Susan was getting in touch with schools and colleges where trips were organised. Susan provided lunches for the large groups who came. She was made a lot of money from this which helped buy the feed for the fish. In their first year they managed to pay back her father for the loan and had made a significant profit. Paradis De Pecheurs sign hung on the gate and on the bait house. The dream that Harry and Susan had had over a year before was now a reality. Her father and mother came over to stay for a week and Harry took his future father in law out fishing before his wedding. Susan had agreed to marry him after he’d got down on one knee one evening whilst fishing the new lake. Harry brought his family over when they were married on Saturday afternoon on August the 12th 1985 They were married in the church in the small village where everyone was invited to the reception held at the Fish farm. Tables were set up around the lake and people kindly baked pies, cakes, and made baguettes. Live music played and copious amounts of wine were drank. It was the happiest day of Susan’s life. Harry and Susan looked forward to many happy years together.

Join MovellasFind out what all the buzz is about. Join now to start sharing your creativity and passion
Loading ...