Journal of Margaret-Holly Adkins, 1776

(COMPLETED) What would it have been like to be a girl growing up in Colonial America, in 1776? Learn about the life of Margaret-Holly Adkins through her inspiring journal entries. Read along as she deals with her friends and family life, as well as the struggle of being a proper young lady of her time, and fitting in with society's borders. Yellow for death and disease.

*I am not a historian, this isn't non-fiction. Facts may be bended for storytelling purposes. Please self-asses yourself before reading. There are some parts and references of death and disease. Happy Reading!


32. February 14th, 1776

Today was quite the day. We went with Father to Church in town today. While we were there, for George’s birthday, which is the 15th, we went to the theater. I’m so glad that Father got to see it, and a show with the rest of us! More later. It’s incredible to think about how well Father is doing. It is so nice to have him back from disease which had him for so long.


After we got back from town, it was late. We all went to bed, but I stayed awake. I crept down to Mother and Father’s room- they were sharing again. Instead of darkness, there was light. I quietly walked down the stairs and stood outside their room.


I looked through the keyhole and saw a surprisingly clear image. Mother was wearing a bright yellow dress -  like sunflowers - one of her best. Her silky hair which had been in plaits (braids) all day had now been taken out, and  her hair now held luscious curls and  waves, crisp and clean. Father was wearing his best pants, shirt, and the buckles on his shoes matched the buckle on his belt. His hair was still a bit damp, lightly and slightly wet, and combed through. It was in a low ponytail tied with a black ribbon in a bow.


Suddenly, they began to dance. It was the most beautiful movement, and perhaps one of the most beautiful things I had ever seen. Laughter filled the room, lighting up their eyes, showing the younger side of my parents which I had rarely seen before. I saw the just married no children selves from the picture before.


Then I realized they had really missed each other. They had been through so much together, and that all had been on the line for the past few months now. But now Mother could breathe easy, knowing that she wouldn’t be a widow and alone for a while. And she wouldn’t be the only adult in the house, especially to manage all of us kids. Which made me think of the baby of course, who Mother must have realized could arrive any day now.


The best thing about the dance was that Mother and Father were in the moment. You could tell that as Father spun Mother around. They were truly having fun, which may be a rare glimpse for them, I guess, always doing so much for us. I guess that was their job, however. They weren’t worried about anything- not the baby, not money, not sickness. And that really was a beautiful thing. It was true love. Hopefully in the future there would be someday where love is celebrated. I think this day every year I will.


So they danced for what must have been almost an hour. So as Father twirled Mother around one last time, with the music in their heads, I could tell, and they could tell that they were both tired. Father then twisted Mother and drew back and caught her in his arms. He kissed her. Once twice. Three times. Four.


It was an amazing end to the almost-done day. Mother changed into her night clothes, and Father put on his too. When they were lying in bed, and I was about to leave, only minutes after the dance, Mother whispered to Father. "We're having a baby." She said. "I know." Father replied, with a tired smile. Mother's eyes suddenly widened. "No!" She said. "We're having the baby right now!" It hit Father like a snowstorm. "What?" He said. "Oh, Good Lord! I'll go wake George-"

Father suddenly opened the door and I didn’t have time to get away. “Margaret-Holly! What are you doing here?” I lied. “Um-er-thirsty!” I said, and rushed upstairs. “Wake George!” My Father called after me.



“Margaret-Holly? What? Why- at this time of night?” George said, half asleep. “Mother is having a baby! Now!” George was suddenly awake. “I’ll run into town and get the doctor!” George bolted out of bed, grabbed his jacket, and ran.


In half and hour’s time, George and his horse came back with the doctor and the doctor’s assistant, both whom rushed into my parent’s room. Even Father was ushered out. We all went to the other side of the house, and everyone was awake now. An hour later, I looked out the window and could tell by the moon that it was about 11:00 at night. It was quiet as the rest of the family sat in the living room, anxiously waiting.


After a half an hour later, the moon was full, the doctor finally came out and led Father back with him. There was no other word from the doctor. Finally, a little while later, the doctor’s assistant came out and whispered to George.


“Is she alright?” I heard George ask. “She has already had the baby, but she’s having a bit of trouble but nothing to worry about…I must be off now….” George sat back down and began to bite his nails. In a little bit the doctor’s assistant came back out, and pulled George aside. “We have figured out the problem.” The assistant said in a hushed voice. “Your Mother is having twins.” George put his hand to his brow. “Oh, God.” He said. “So there is another baby?” The doctor nodded. “That is why they are extremely early. Well, I better be off now.” The assistant said patting George on the back. George thanked the assistant and the assistant left, but I could tell that he couldn’t rest a second though he was trying to hide it.


By midnight we were all allowed in. So it turns out I have a new baby brother and sister. And now I know why.

Join MovellasFind out what all the buzz is about. Join now to start sharing your creativity and passion
Loading ...