How Did We End Up Here?

Things have been rough lately for stage crew worker Miranda. She has to work two jobs just to get by. Until she does a show for 5 Seconds of Summer and she and her friend Daniel get asked to tour with them! Miranda starts to fall for one of the boys but it threatens her job, where if something happened she would have to go back to Montana and face everything she left behind.
*Cover art made with Pic Collage

25. ch.25

No one knew where Odessa was, no one had heard from her since yesterday...no one really wanted to, she just left and definitely for the last time. We all sat by eachother on the plane.

"How many shows are we doing here?" Luke asked.

"Three." I said watching the sun light up the sky, I'd never seen the sun rise from a plane or, at least paid any mind to it.

"Ok, thanks." Luke said

"No problem."

"So why did you bring that fan up? No like it's bad but..." Calum started to say, I interrupted him,

"No, No, I get it, She was just letting people go ahead of her so...I figured she deserved a chance." I said. I saw Ashton look at me from the corner of my eye and I looked back and we smiled at each other.

"That's really sweet." Nebraska said

"Thanks." I said

"So how are things with you?" I asked

"Pretty good." She said snuggling up under Michael's arm.

"Are you moving to australia when you guys get married?" I asked

"Yeah, all my family is there and I finished school and I have all my stuff with me already, not like I have much, plus, I don't really like New York...I like living in Australia and now I have Michael with me...what else could I need?" She said leaning into Michael for a kiss which he gladly returned. We rolled our eyes and then I spoke,

"Wait if your from Australia...why is your name Nebraska?"

"Oh! My parents visit there all the time and they love it so they decided to name one of their kids that." She said

"I love that name, how many siblings do you have?"

"I'm the youngest of three." She said

"Oh cool." I said. I felt tired I tried to take a nap in the plane seat. I slept on and off until I felt Ashton shaking me awake telling me we landed. I stood up and stretched.

"You look tired." Ashton said

"Yeah, I haven't been getting much sleep lately." I said, trying to flatten my hair with my hand.

"Oh, I'm sorry." He said pulling me in for a hug, I gladly took it.

"Let's go, there's people waiting out there." Ashton said.

"C'mon, I'll buy you a coffee." He said grabbing my hand and walking out of the plane. There were buckets of fans waiting at the airport and paparazzi. One of the reporters yelled,

"Are you two dating?" We suddenly realized we were still holding hands, we quickly dropped hands and my face fell instantly red.

"No." We both said.

"Okay." The reporter said in a condescending tone. My stomach dropped, I knew something would end up in a magazine soon.

"Don't worry, It'll be fine." Ashton whispered in my ear. I stood on my tiptoes and whispered back into his ear,

"I certainly hope so." After autographs and pictures and a paparazzi interrogation on Nebraska and Michael since they were getting married after the tour. We were finally at the hotel. It was a nice place with a good view from my window. I laid down on my bed as Nebraska unpacked and Daniel was out on the deck, I prayed to god that he wasn't smoking again, but I had a bad feeling. I started talking to Nebraska,

"So tell me the detail about your wedding, have you and Michael talked about it?" I asked

"A little, I have some Ideas, but when we get to Australia I want you and Calum's girlfriend Quorra to go wedding dress shopping with me."

"Oh my god I'd love to!" I said

"Thanks." She said.

"I think you'll really like Quorra! She's super fun!"

"I'm sure!" I said smiling. Just then there was a powerful knock at the door.

"Who is it?" Nebraska asked with her hands on her hips turning towards the door.

"It's Ashton, I brought some coffee."

"Oh yeah, hold on." I said getting up off the bed and quickly walking to the door and opening it. I heard the door knob click and I swung open the door. Ashton had two cups of coffee.

"Oh hey Nebraska, sorry I didn't grab you a coffee, it slipped my mind, I can go grab you one if-"

"Ashton! Its fine, I'm gonna go see Michael, you guys have fun." She said smiling and walking out the door. What's that supposed to mean? I thought.

"What's up?" Ashton said handing me a coffee.

"Not much." I said taking the coffee from his hand and sitting down on the chest at the end of the bed. Ashton sat next to me.

"It's been a long day." I said taking a sip of coffee.

"I know." Ashton said leaning back and resting his head on the bed, I did the same.

"If I told myself at exactly one year ago today that I would be in the UK touring with 5 Seconds of Summer I would have probably slapped myself for being crazy!"

"Really?" He said sitting up and looking at me.

"Yeah, I mean, this is pretty crazy." I said sitting up and running my fingers through my hair.

"Not really, I mean, I haven't been on a lot of tours but your really good at what you do and I can tell you really enjoy it." He said

"Thanks," I said "I really do enjoy this job."

"I can tell." He said. I just smiled and slightly laughed taking another sip of my coffee.

"Can I be honest with you?" I said

"Anytime." Ashton said looking into my eyes. I looked up into his eyes.

"I really don't want to go back to Montana." I said, taking another sip of my coffee.

"Why not?" He asked.

"Well, I kinda just left without telling anyone and even though my parents kicked me out I still feel bad that I just left them." I said

"Wait...your parents kicked you out...why?" He said

"Well, When I was eighteen I got mixed up with the wrong people and I got a tattoo and my dad was so disappointed that he kicked me out, My mom still tries to kinda keep in touch with me but I think she's afraid of what my dad will say but, she's the one who got me the job at the hotel to keep me afloat, but I think that's why I love my job with you guys so much, and you guys for that matter, because you don't really care about my screw-ups. Look I'm sorry for unloading on you like that I can leave you alone..." I said and stood up. Ashton stood up and hugged me from behind. I grabbed his hands while his arms were still around me. I took a deep breath.

"Look, you don't have to go home if you don't want to, you can when you're ready, you can always come to me if you're scared or nervous...I'll be here." He said. I wanted to melt into his arms and kiss him but I knew I couldn't, I couldn't lose this job, and somehow I knew that would be it for me. I stepped out of his arms.

"Thank's Ashton...and If you ever need anything I'm here." I said looking at him.

"I know." He said.

"So you have a tattoo?" He said smiling. I loved his smile.

"Yeah..." I said slightly laughing.

"Can I see it? Or is it like in a bad place?" He asked laughing. I laughed too.

"No, Its right here." I said turning around and moving my shirt down from my shoulder revealing a compass on my shoulder blade.

"That's awesome!" Ashton said. I put my shirt back upon my shoulder.

"My dad says it makes me look stupid." I said

"Well I think it's cool."