- Luke Hemmings is your brother's best friend?! - screamed Allicia in the phone from the other end.
- I know, right. - I screamed back. - That's so unfair!
- I don't know. - Allicia went quiet for a bit.
- I was thinking that maybe... Maybe it's some kind of faith. Maybe it was meant for you guys to happen to be in that kind of situation.
- Fate my ass. Someone's trying to ruin my life, I'm telling you.
- What if nobody wants to ruin your life but to make you happy?
- Are you on drugs? - I raised my eyebrows even though she couldn't see me.
- I just thought that maybe..
- Ema! - someone interrupted into our conversation while shouting from downstairs.
- Coming! - I yelled back and then talked Allicia again. - I gotta go. See ya tomorrow, okay?
I hung up the phone, leaving it on my bed and went downstairs.
- What? - I asked annoyed.
- I just thought you may want to know we're home. - my mom showed up on the kitchen's door.
- Okay, now I know. But just so you know, you interrupted very important conversation.
- I did? - she asked surprised.
- Yes. - we went into the kitchen and my mom continued cooking the dinner. - Where's Ben?
- He has news and will be home every moment.
- What news?
- You'll see.
- Then where's Dakota? - I asked taking a notice that my mom was on the stove actually cooking.
- I gave her the night off. She went out.
- So... You decided to cook dinner? - I stood next to her and looked above her shoulder cautiously. I did not want food exploding in my face. It had happened before. My mom wasn't the best cook.
- Stop being so sarcastic, little girl. - she hit me on the head with a spatula. My mouth fell open in mock surprise and shock.
- Did you just hit me? With a spatula?
In that moment I heard the crack of the front door and then Ben's voice.
- I got raised! - he shouted proudly then came into the kitchen. - My favorite girls! What are you up to?
He kissed my mom's and mine foreheads which made me freeze and my mouth really fell open this time. No one except dad did this.
- You seem very happy. - I pointed swallowing the surprise and the snappy comment I almost threw his way a second ago.
- How can I not be? I got raised in my job! - I smiled at his enthusiasm. - Where's Ashton?
- Probably still in the garage. - mom said while cutting onions.
Ben went out of the kitchen muttering 'this boys are really good playing'. Probably they are, except one of them, I though. After a minute my mom and I heard Ben shouting from the garage 'I got raised!'
I was happy about him and my mom, they seemed very happy together. But it was hard for me to take the idea of having a new father. I was okay with Ashton. He was really cool, kind, careless and let me tell you: if he wasn't supposed to be my brother, I wouldn't mind dating him. Even thought he would be my first boyfriend. And probably the only one after all the shit I'm doing in the biggest part of my life. I remember when I was 10 th year at school, I set my english teacher's skirt on fire because she sent me on detention. Or 3 years ago when I climbed on my old school's roof.
- Earth to Ema! - my mother shook her hand in front of my face. I looked at her. - Did some boy caught your eye today?
- What? No! - I sat on the table. - I was thinking about things. - mom made her famous look 'mhm' and went back to the oven turning it off. - You know, today I met one girl that was very nice to me. We had lunch together and then switched our phone numbers. I think we're friends now.
- Wow, friend on the first day. Good for you. That kind of luck doesn't pop up often. Just be careful, okay?
- Yeah, mom! I'm not your little girl anymore!
- Yes you are. And you always will be. - she kissed my forehead then before I knew it, hit me with the spatula thing again. - Now to work! Cut the carrots young lady, dinner's not making alone!