In honour of Sir Terry Pratchett, my all time favourite author and inspiration, who passed away on the 12th of march; my five favourite discworld quotes! My, this was difficult, but here you go! And to you, Sir Terry, rest in peace knowing that nobody truly dies while their name lives on. Yours will in the pages you gave us.
1) Death was standing behind a lectern, poring over a map. He looked at Mort as if he wasn’t entirely there.
YOU HAVEN'T HEARD OF THE BAY OF MANTE, HAVE YOU? he said.
“No, sir,” said Mort.
FAMOUS SHIPWRECK THERE.
THERE WILL BE, said Death, IF I CAN FIND THE DAMN PLACE.
2) If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'.
3) Unseen university had never admitted women, muttering something about problems with the plumbing, but the real reason was an unspoken dread that if women were allowed to mess around with magic they would probably be embarrassingly good at it.
4) 'I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people,' said the man. 'You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.'
5) “They think written words are even more powerful,’ whispered the toad. ‘They think all writing is magic. Words worry them. See their swords? They glow blue in the presence of lawyers.”