Olivia Amazonia

This Teen Series delves into personal growth for teens. Olivia was
sixteen years old and bored. Her parents were rich and boring, her
father was a diamond dealer and her mother was a doctor in Sao Paulo,
Brazil. But both her parents were so busy with their careers that they
hardly noticed her anymore, except to tell her to brush her teeth, do
her homework or come home early from her dates. They had failed to see
how unhappy she had become. Her life was one big chore, with endless
schoolwork, boring, immature boys and girlfriends that blabbed on
about useless dramas they could not live without. Whenever she would
suggest that her life was useless they would come up with suggestions
to take up a new hobby, like horseback riding or swimming lessons…or
worse yet, shopping.

Olivia took refuge in her room surrounded by her teddy bears, her
computer and her cell phone. She was doing research on the changing
environment of The Amazon.

2. Olivia Amazonia

Olivia woke up in her small hut. It was raining outside and she could hear the water dripping on her tarp. It had been two days since she first met Ben and she was sure she was in love. He was a dream come true!

They had spent the first night they met talking well into the night, they talked about their dreams, their mission in life and found they had a lot in common. He was brave, smart and well educated…She felt lucky. He was very different from the boys at her school, he was a man and they were like little boys.

Today he had something planned for her since it was her last day. Richard was coming to pick her up again and her parents were raging! There would be hell to play when she got home but it was worth it. She didn’t care anymore. She had to live her life for her, on her own terms. Her parents would have to understand she wasn’t just this tiny baby girl anymore, content to live in a gilded cage.

She put on a white cotton t-shirt and a pair of khaki pants and boots. She washed her face with some water and pulled out a small compact mirror she had and put on some lip gloss and some eyeliner. She wanted to look natural yet sexy at the same time.

She got her camera and walked over to Bens’ tent. He was inside, shaving in front of a mirror.

“Oh hey!” he said startled.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to surprise you.” she lied.

“Just a sec, I’ll be done in a minute…..So I have a little surprise for you today….”

“Oh yes?”

“Yes…I hope you brought your camera.”

“Are we going to see the monkeys again?”

“Nope.”

“No? What then? Wild birds? Elephants? Reptiles?”

“No, no, no and no…..” he gave her a kiss.

“You are so fascinating….Ok, I give up.”

“Come, let me show you something.”

They walked around the village to a cleared field where a small airplane was sitting. Ben pointed to it.

“We’re going to hunt people today, lost tribes.”

“Really? Oh my god!”

Olivia was excited. She had heard about the lost tribes from the news in Sao Paulo but never imagined actually seeing them.

“Where are we going?”

“To the west side near the Peruvian border. There are many tribes there, it has been confirmed. Today we are going to get pictures. Priceless pictures. Hop in.”

Olivia hopped in the plane. The pilot came over and introduced himself.

“Hello Olivia, my name is Johnny. I hope you like flying. Might be a wild ride….”

“Oh yes…I love it.”

“Here we go. Buckle up!” he said

The plane took off amongst the dense trees and soon they were high above the forest looking down at the water and the tress. Olivia looked around in wonder. This was what made life worth living she thought. Her old life seemed to slip away, all the petty friends she had who only worried about themselves and their dramas and useless things. This made sense to her, she almost had to fight back the tears as she thought of going home and facing her parents.

Ben smiled at her from the front seat. “You alright?”

She smiled back. “Yes, it’s just so beautiful.” She wiped the tears from her eyes.

They came to the western tip of the forest and the pilot pointed out some brush huts.

“There, look!!!!” he pointed to the huts and to some people running on the ground. There were aiming arrows at the plane, trying to shoot it down.

“They are trying to kill us!!!” Olivia cried out

“No, they have never seen a plane before, they are frightened. All they know is their primitive life on the land.”

“Are we going to land?” asked Olivia.

“Yes, we will land. Hold on!”

She suddenly wished she had brought the gun. What if these people attacked them?”

The pilot landed and they got out of the plane. The tribesmen circled around them, very cautiously. Olivia was nervous.

“We come in peace.” The pilot said in Portuguese.

The tribesman looked at each other. They obviously did not speak the same language. Olivia started snapping pictures of the encounter. Some women came, with bare chests carrying small children. They looked intruiged and shy and curious.

“I hope you are getting some good shots of this.” Ben whispered to her.

“Yes, I have it.” she squeezed his hand.

The pilot went into the plane and offered some food to the tribesman. They took it and tasted it. They smiled.

“They like it!”

Suddenly some of the tension was relived by the food. Olivia felt slightly better but did not leave Bens side. The tribesmen came back from the water and handed them a fish. It was a humbling moment, one of the best moments of her life. Olivia would never forget this meeting or this day, or the time she had spent with Ben. She shot it all, capturing their encounter with some of the world’s remotest people. They had to leave and so they reluctantly got into the plane. Ben hugged her and she wept. It was so emotional for her. The pilot took off and she looked down at the grass huts and closed her eyes.

Ben and Johnny talked about the tribe. “The loggers will kill them.”

“Why will they kill them?”

“Greed my dear…..It’s all about the land, the loggers will claim the land and destroy the forest there and all their homes. What you witnessed today was rare, so rare its unheard of….”

“I doubt anyone would believe me but I have about one thousand pictures to prove them wrong.”

“You did great, you were pro.” Ben said.

“I just shoot it like I see it.” Olivia said.

They landed back at the camp. Ben helped her out of the plane.

“Will you stay for dinner tonight?”

“I can’t. My ride is coming to take me home tonight.”

“I see. So this is goodbye for us?”

“Goodbye for now. But not forever.”

He took her in his arms and kissed her passionately. She felt enveloped in his strong arms, she felt weak and excited and all grown up. She felt womanly.

“I will call you.” He said

She hoped he would. But maybe after she was gone he would forget her, lost out here in the jungle, doing his work while she was in the city, living her privileged, silly life.

“Let me walk you back.” He said

“No, it’s alright, I just want to walk alone to think a bit.”

He smiled at her. “Ok Olivia, as you wish.”

She walked back to her tent. Richard was there in his white convertible with a big smile on his face.

“You survived!” he said

“Oh yes!!!!! I survived!!! It was great!!!”

They packed up her things and drove back to the city. She was silent. Slowly the lights got brighter and brighter and the streets busier and busier. They got closer to home and she thought of her parents. They would be home.

“Thanks Richard for picking me up.”

“Well, I wasn’t about to leave you in the jungle. So you really liked it?”

“Yes!”

They pulled into the driveway. Her father was waiting at the door. She leaned over and gave Richard a kiss on the cheek. “Thanks!”

She carried her stuff into the house. Her father had a quizzical look on his face.

“My gun is missing.”

“I took it.”

“Why?”

“I thought I might need it to protect myself.”

Her mother decided to chime in. “I don’t understand you Olivia. How could you go by yourself to the jungle? What were you thinking?”

“Mother, Dad…..I love you both. But you have been so busy with your own lives that you have failed to see that I am grown up. I am a grown woman and I need to do something with my life that is not what you are all about. I know that you don’t understand or care about The Amazon, but to me it’s critical to make it a part of my life. I met a wonderful man there and I hope to send a lot more time there.”

“Absolutely not!” her mother said.

“Olivia, Olivia…..This is just  phase you are going through. The Amazon is not a place for you. You don’t belong there with those hoodlums.”

“Dad! They are not hoodlums, they are researchers, scientists, photographers….They care about the world and what is happening to it.”

“Olivia. We have given you the very best of everything in life. Please don’t disappoint us by doing this to us. It is very dangerous there. You could have been killed or raped by bad people there. You don’t belong there and we forbid you to go back.”

“Mother. I love you but I have to go. It’s in my blood. It’s in my soul. Can’t you see that? Why is everything about you and your perception of the world?

Olivia was near tears. It was worse than she had imagined.

Her father spoke.

“Ok, you win. You go there and you spend time there. We will not stop you.”

“Thanks Dad….I won’t disappoint you. I have so many pictures to show you. Look!!

She opened up her camera and started showing them some of the many pictures she had taken. Her face was alive, she felt happy her father has settled the peace. Maybe soon she would hear from Ben again…….Maybe it all would be alright. She hoped so, because she would be back there again. Nothing would stop her now.

“Oh hey!” he said startled.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to surprise you.” she lied.

“Oh yes?”

“Yes…I hope you brought your camera.”

“Are we going to see the monkeys again?”

“Nope.”

“No? What then? Wild birds? Elephants? Reptiles?”

“No, no, no and no…..” he gave her a kiss.

“You are so fascinating….Ok, I give up.”

“Come, let me show you something.”

“We’re going to hunt people today, lost tribes.”

“Really? Oh my god!”

“Where are we going?”

Olivia hopped in the plane. The pilot came over and introduced himself.

“Oh yes…I love it.”

“Here we go. Buckle up!” he said

Ben smiled at her from the front seat. “You alright?”

“They are trying to kill us!!!” Olivia cried out

“Are we going to land?” asked Olivia.

“Yes, we will land. Hold on!”

“We come in peace.” The pilot said in Portuguese.

“I hope you are getting some good shots of this.” Ben whispered to her.

“Yes, I have it.” she squeezed his hand.

“They like it!”

Ben and Johnny talked about the tribe. “The loggers will kill them.”

“Why will they kill them?”

“You did great, you were pro.” Ben said.

“I just shoot it like I see it.” Olivia said.

They landed back at the camp. Ben helped her out of the plane.

“Will you stay for dinner tonight?”

“I can’t. My ride is coming to take me home tonight.”

“I see. So this is goodbye for us?”

“Goodbye for now. But not forever.”

“I will call you.” He said

“Let me walk you back.” He said

“No, it’s alright, I just want to walk alone to think a bit.”

He smiled at her. “Ok Olivia, as you wish.”

“You survived!” he said

“Oh yes!!!!! I survived!!! It was great!!!”

“Thanks Richard for picking me up.”

“Well, I wasn’t about to leave you in the jungle. So you really liked it?”

“Yes!”

“My gun is missing.”

“I took it.”

“Why?”

“I thought I might need it to protect myself.”

“Absolutely not!” her mother said.

Olivia was near tears. It was worse than she had imagined.

Her father spoke.

“Ok, you win. You go there and you spend time there. We will not stop you.”