Skinny Summer

I was fifteen back then, and it was summer. No worries about school or mean girls. I went on a road trip with my dad. He was always a good father, but he didn't know me. No one ever knew me. I lived a life in my head. A girl was haunting me in every reflection.
I felt insane, but I had to hide it. I couldn't tell my dad.

3. On the ferry

We walked back to the autocamper. Dad pushed my shoulder and said:
“You okay, pumpkin?”

I looked up and said:
“Yes, I’m just a bit tired.”
He grinned and said:
“Well, then you should relax. Luckily, you’re not driving.” He smiled at me. I smiled back.

I sat on the couch and slowly faded away. I was soon daydreaming.

“Ok honey, so the plan is we go on the ferry and leave the car. We then go up on deck and look around, maybe do some shopping and have fun. Sounds good?” he said.

“Yeah, sounds good”, I said.

“We’re very close now”, he said.

I took my phone and looked at the locked screen. It had a dark reflection of me.

“Sure you got it all up?”

She was so small compared to in my mirror.

“I’m sure”, I whispered.

She laughed and said:
“Why are you whispering? Is your dad not supposed to know?”

“Stay out of this”, I said and put the phone back in my pocket.

I took a deep breath and slowly drowned in the couch. My eyes closed, and I couldn’t open them.

Everything went black.

“Are you doing it right? Sure you got all the food up?”
Now she sat next to me on the couch.

“Yes, I am sure. Now stay away from me”, I said. I was getting very angry.

“You know, I can teach you a few things”, she said with a smile on her face.

I looked over at her.

“What do you mean?”

She came closer and whispered:
“You know laxatives. I can teach you how to puke faster, resist food and such.”

I got up and screamed:
“You’re sick, you’re crazy! Stay away from me, leave me alone! You’re insane!”

Everything went black once again.

“Hey. Hey! Wake up!”

It was dad.

“You’ve been sleeping for half an hour. It’s time to go, we’re in the ferry”, he said.

I shook my head and got up. I felt exhausted.

We got out of the autocamper and went upstairs. There were a bunch of small stores and a kiosk. There was a big restaurant, but luckily we ate before we came.

“There are a bunch of perfume stores. You can go and check that out while I get a cup of coffee”, dad said.

I smiled. I gave him a hug, and started searching for one of the perfume stores.

The ferry was huge, and there were a bunch of people onboard.

I found one of the stores. I was salmon-colored and had a huge sign that said ‘Perfume for ladies’.

I could barely read it because it was written with a weird font, but I could see they had perfumes.

The store was a bit small. It smelled a lot like flowers and candy, all kinds of perfumes.

Some of them were very, very expensive and some of them were pretty cheap. You could definitely tell by the look if it was cheap or expensive.

I found a really beautiful one. It was light pink and had a white heart on it. I tried it on. It smelled wonderful! It was sweet like candy, but natural like flowers. It wasn’t strong, but it was noticeable.

I loved it so much, I had to have it!

I looked at the price tag. I almost gasped; it was way too expensive.

I looked at the one that said ‘try’. I noticed something: the perfumes had a little mark that would make the alarms start beeping, but the one that said ‘try’ didn’t. I looked around. There was only an old lady, but she wasn’t looking at me. I took it and put it in my coats pocket as fast as I could. I stayed calm and walked out slowly.

I started looking for dad. I checked the restaurant, but he wasn’t there.

I went to the ‘reception’ where a bunch of employees were sitting. Next to them, there was a map on the wall. I saw a Starbucks was placed on the floor above me. I walked upstairs and went straight to the Starbucks. I saw dad. He was sitting by a dark brown wooden table with a paper and a cup of coffee. I sneaked up on him slowly, grabbed his shoulders and said:
“Hey!”

He startled and spit some coffee back in the cup. He put his left hand on his chest, smiled and said:
“Darling… you scared me…”

I laughed.

“Sorry dad! I couldn’t help it!”

He put the cup on the table. He turned a page and started to read. I noticed that he couldn’t stop smiling.

“So what’s the plan?” I asked.

“Well”, he said. “There are teen minutes till we’re in Denmark.”

“Cool!” I said and smiled.

“Have you ever been there?”
He grinned and said:
“Honey, if only you knew! I went there every summer with my dad, when I was fifteen.”

“Grandpa went on road trips?” I asked. I almost laughed. My grandpa was always angry and didn’t want to have fun.

“Every summer. It was very fun and we had a blast”, dad said.

I smiled.
“Wow”, I said.

He put the paper on the chair next to him and got up.
“We should get ready. We’re almost there”, he said. “Are you excited?”

I gave him a big smile and said:
“Very! I can’t wait!”