Pages of Akeem

4. Chapter 4

The night was nice and clear, the party at the estate was bigger than I had imagined as I handed my invitation to the grades he made a rude comment to my mask I agree it was a hideous thing but I was completely invisible, besides the fact that everyone was staring at my mask. As I entered the party I was instantly swarmed by waitresses and harlots. They were beautiful and on more than one occasion I lost my concentration and started using my natural charm on the ladies, but it was not after an hour that Raees should his face to the people.

He had a completely rehearsed speech he told to us then he went upstairs with one of the girls. I followed them up as far as I could, then they went behind a locked double door. I waited for what felt like hours, but in reality was only a few minutes. The young girl came out of the door and I pulled her aside.

“Please I have a family.” she said terrified

“Is Raees inside?” I asked

“Yes.”she replied

“Good leave now, and do not return.” I told her

As  I entered Raees was tied to a char with a blindfold on.

“Adhara? Is that you?” He said, I assumed Adhara was the girls name.

The room was filled with portraits of himself, I could tell he had a big ego.  I did not what to make this last longer than it had to. I slapped Raees across the face and took his blindfold off.

He looked at me and asked “How are you? Where is Adhara?”

“She has left the party.” I told him

He looked at me as if I was a drunk.

“What do you want?” He said

“Vengeance, and Justice.”

“For what?”

“The attack on my village.”

Coming to the reality of the situation he started begging for mercy.

“Please don’t do this, I can make you rich, I will give you whatever you want, money, women, everything that you desire.” he pleaded.

“Well that is tempting, but I think I’ll pass.” I said as a took my dagger and put it threw his chest.

With his last gasp of air he told me “I regret nothing, I have lived this life, and I am ready for the next.”

“May your second  life be as glamorous as your first. Rest in Peace, my self absorbed friend.”

I left Raees there for the guards to find. The trip back to the shop was not a pleasant one after the sun goes down the other side of this city is revealed, thieves, black marketers, and harlots flood the streets.

The next morning Dabir was visited by the city guards to ask if he had seen anything strange. They did not stay long for the thieves were making trouble again.

Dabir gave me some money for just doing a good job on the killing. As I walked thru the market a young boy came up to me he was not even six.

“Niccolo Machiavelli what are you doing!” a woman shouted.

“I am so sorry sir he is still learning his manners.” she continued

“It is no trouble madam, he is just curious.” I replied

“Well his father should be here soon.”

“By your accent I am guessing you're Italian.”

“That is right, have you been to Italy?” she asked

“Once or twice for business.” I told her

“Well here comes his father I’d best be going.” she said taking the child by the arm.

As she walked toward the man they started to argue in Italian I didn’t understand them, but that did not matter after I saw the man, how was obviously drunk, slapped the woman across the face, he was about to do it again but, using what little italian I knew, I grabbed his arm and said

“Thats not very nice you italian porco.”

He could not comprehend what was happening but that did not matter, I punched him in the noise he keeled over in pain. He started to shout and curse in italian. As I helped the women off the ground he started to run away.

“Thank you sir, it’s about time someone put him in his place.” she said

“I was not about to stand by and let him hurt you like that. I know it is not my place, but I live in a small village far from here, you could be free of him.”

She looked at me interested in what I had to say.

“I will take a look.” she said

I gave her the directions to my village and went on my way. The money Dabir gave me was much appreciated I had just enough to complete a full set of metal armor, the first full set of armor I have ever owned. It was time to start my search for Abd-Allah. I went to the freedom fighters for help, their leader Husam was a man passionate about his country he dreamed of freedom for him and his family. He lived for the case and he died for it. The freedom fighter compound was cleverly disguised to look like a school. Husam was a nice man but he had a short temper. Some times it was hard to work with him. He never wanted to let the enemy live no matter what. He believed if you live for a case then you should be prepared to die for it. This is how he lived, he never changed. He often told me of the future he had planed. It was a good life he had in mind. When I entered the HQ I was immediately welcomed by everyone in the place. The cheered and applauded for a minute and then went quiet. A man approached me and then shouted out.

“This is our champine!”

“I don’t understand.” I told him

“Walk with me and you will. You are Akeem are you not?

“I am.”

“Then you have done what we could not and only in a short few weeks. Now that is impressive.” he told me

We sat at a secluded bench and drank some wine.

“You killed Raees, you did in one hour what my men couldn’t do in three weeks. I know this is sudden, but I would like you to join us.” he asked

“That is why I am here.” I told him

“Good we are one step ahead. I hope you don’t mind if I send you out right now.”

“Now?”

“Of course this is the perfect time to start.” he said

The next few days I went out with some of the other fighters and we caused some trouble from starting riots to stealing food from the guard posts. It was always something. One day I was with some of the other men and we went to sabotage a steam bath that the guards would use. The plane was to increase the temperature of the water so it was near lethal. We started on the roof, but I did not go with the rest,  instead I listened to a conversation between two men. I stop to listen because I heard the name Abd-Allah was said.

“Don’t worry Mahomet. Everything will be fine.”

“ “Fine?” how can you say that Junayd. Everyone who is no longer important to his plans is being executed! It is only a matter of time before he comes for us as well!” Mahomet yelled

“I think you need to talk to Abd-Allah.” Junayd told him

“Where is he?”

“He should be in the mosque at the top of the hill near the market.” He told him.

The market is only a short ways away. I could get there in no time.” I thought

As I approached the mosque the service was just ending. I entered and stayed by the door until I spotted a man in some form of religious robes. He had to be Abd-Allah. I followed him to a sort of dining area. I entered as quiet as I could, but I must of alerted him in some way.

“I know you are there and I know why you have come.” he told me.

“Then you know what I must do next.” I replied

“I do, but first site have some tea.” he said

I sate and he poured me a cup of Jasmine Tea. I look at his face it was old, older than I had imagined. He had a thick dark beard with some gray, green eyes, and black-gray hair.

“You do not fear me do you?” I asked

“No I do not.” replied Abd-Allah

“Why?”

“Because I do not care if I die, I know I will be with Allah when I die.”

“Whatever helps you sleep at night old man.”

“You do not believe?”

“No I don’t.”

“So you believe we were just put here, just like that.”

“Well to be honest I don’t know what to believe.”

“I know you are not going to kill me.”

“How do you know that?”

“Because if you were you would have done it already.”

“Then I shouldn’t waste anymore time should I.” I said pulling out my dagger.

“I can help you.”

“How and why would you want to help me?”

“I want to help because I see that what my colleagues are doing is wrong. The way I could help you is I can give you the names of the replacements.”

“What replacements?”

“The ones we have to replace us each one better and more capable than the last.”

He stood up and ask me to walk with him. I agreed.

“Tell me of these replacements.” I ordered

“When the council was first created to manage the city, four men were hand picked to replace us if we were to die.” he explained.

“How was my Mentor not know this.”

“There are some thing even God does not know. I mean did you really think that it would be ended just by killing us. We have backup plans and even backup plans upon backup plans.”

“So let me guess you want to be protected in exchange for this information?”

“Of course once my colleagues figure out what I have done they will be out for blood.”

“ OK old man you bought yourself some time, for now.”

I started to leave, but Abd-Allah stopped me.

“Wait!” he shouted “Where are you going?”

“To talk to the freedom fighters.”

“Why?” he asked

“To make sure they don’t kill you and dragged your beheaded body through the streets.”